Self-Assessment: Are You Ready for a Nose Job?
How can I know if I am getting a nose job for the right reasons and if I am ready?
Some people seem to be born with an extra, heretofore undiscovered gene. Unlike the rest of us, they always know just what to do because they know exactly what they want. You would think this trait would be rare, but I suspect we all know one of them. When it comes time to make a major decision, like whether or not to have rhinoplasty, these people just do it without the need for a lot of soul-searching. Not so for the rest of us!
Cosmetic surgery of any kind is a big deal. Deciding on a movie or between pizza and Chinese food are choices that can be made without a lot of thought. Changing jobs or moving to a different part of town have more significant consequences but can usually still be worked out with a list of pros and cons. Altering the structure of your nose will forever change the appearance of your face. That is a step that you should be reasonably confident is the right one before taking it.
Hopefully, you have been paying attention so far, because it is now time for a quiz! By answering these questions as truthfully and with as much thought and introspection as you can, you just may find yourself closer to a more self-aware decision.
- Why are you considering a nose job? Hint: improving your self-image and how you feel about yourself is a good place to start.
- Are you having this surgery to please yourself or others? The correct response should be a no-brainer, but you have to be honest. However you decide to answer, remember, doing something like this for someone else is pretty much guaranteed to backfire.
- Do you have realistic expectations? If you try to answer this before consulting with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, you will immediately fail this quiz.
- Are you emotionally prepared for cosmetic surgery? Sometimes the goal is a good one, but the timing is not. If you are going through a difficult time, like the death of a loved one, divorce or some other emotionally significant experience, the best choice might simply be to wait for a better time.
- Have you considered that the changes to your appearance may require a lot of adjustment? This will not be just on your part but also for family and friends. Are you prepared for the fact that not all reactions may be positive in the beginning and that there may need to be an adjustment period?
- Have you considered worst case scenarios? The vast majority of procedures performed by experienced surgeons are successful, but surgery never comes with a guarantee. Sometimes things do go wrong. Are you willing to take that risk?
- Are you financially prepared for the cost? This is not something they will be asking you for your insurance card. Make sure you know all the costs up front before you make your decision.
- Do you have the right support system? Not everyone will support your decision, so you will want to know who you can count on to support you physically and emotionally during your recovery.
So, how did you do? This is an important decision so the more time you take to get it right, the better. Once you get to the point where you are leaning toward having surgery, do the one thing that will make the most difference: contact the most experienced and skilled rhinoplasty surgeon that you can find. Go over these questions during the initial consultation. Together, you should be able to make the decision that is right for you.
Experienced, board certified and dedicated, Dr. Geoffrey Tobias was recognized 12 times as “best in his field” by New York Magazine. When you need a highly-skilled and experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, you could not make a better decision than to request a consultation with Dr. Tobias. To start that process, simply click here.
Posted in: Rhinoplasty