How to Avoid Rhinoplasty Complications
What can I do to reduce my chances of complications following cosmetic nasal surgery?
Though any surgical procedure involves the risk of complications, the risk after rhinoplasty is minimal. Nonetheless, there are several ways to reduce those risks even further. Some of the methods involve patient awareness and behavior; many involve particular care on the part of the surgeon. This is why choosing a well-experienced rhinoplasty surgeon with a proven track record is so important.
Ways for Patients to Reduce the Chances of Complications
Apart from choosing your surgeon after careful research, there are a few important ways to protect yourself from potential complications after a rhinoplasty.
- Understand the inherent risks going in. This requires an open discussion with your surgeon before committing to the procedure. Although most of the possible complications of a rhinoplasty are minor and correctable, there is a very slight chance of more serious, permanent problems.
- Make sure that you speak up, as well as listen, during your consultation with the surgeon. You should cover not only your goals and expectations about the end results, but ask questions, such as whether a graft of any kind will be necessary. It is essential that this conversation include a frank discussion about any pre-existing health problems you may have that might affect the outcome of the procedure.
- You should make sure to tell the surgeon about any medications you take, even those you may take infrequently. This list should include over-the-counter products, vitamins, minerals, and herbal supplements as well as prescriptions. If you smoke, have a tendency to over-indulge in alcohol, or take illegal substances — now is the time to come clean.
- Commit yourself to following all the doctor’s directions and recommendations, both before and after the operation. Remember, the surgeon is the one who has down this road many, many times before. You are a novice. Don’t be cavalier about your own health.
Choosing a Rhinoplasty Surgeon Wisely
Apart from choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon with excellent credentials, it is wise to choose a surgeon who:
- Works exclusively in the field of rhinoplasty
- Has a reputation for being innovative and artistic, as well as technically skilled
- Can show you before and after images of his or her work to demonstrate expertise
- Makes testimonials from well-satisfied (preferably delighted) patients available to you
- Has impeccable credentials
- Communicates with you every step of the way and answers all your questions
Methods Surgeons Use to Reduce the Risk of Complications
Rhinoplasty surgeons reduce the risk of complications for their patients by:
- Keeping abreast of the most up-to-date techniques
- Performing their surgeries in excellent full-service hospitals
- Using only the very best anesthesiologists
- Having performed enough rhinoplasty procedures to become experts in the field
- Having performed revision as well as original surgeries
While no surgeon can absolutely guarantee that you will not have complications, if both you and your surgeon take the time to cover all the bases, the likelihood that you will experience a serious complication after rhinoplasty is extremely slight.
Posted in: Rhinoplasty